Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grapey Goodness - All Hail the Jolly Joe...

Back when I was a kid, I remember running off to the candy store with my cousins with a fist full of money, and dreams of sugar saturated goodness in my little head. One of my favorite treats were Mike and Ike Jolly Joes...grape flavored chewy candies very similar to jelly beans, but larger.

Grape has always been one of my favorite candy flavors. As I got older, I eventually forgot about Jolly Joes and other childhood treats, until there was a massive revival of Mike and Ike candies, including Hot Tamales, the cinnamon flavored Mike and Ikes. While I noticed the increased availability of these candies, I noticed a decided lack of Jolly Joes in the local candy stores. They carried all the other basic flavors, but no Jolly Joes!

Obsessed, I checked Mike and Ike website to see if they dared to discontinue my childhood treat, and to my relief, they were still in production...but NOT IN CANADA!!! ARGH! So if I wanted to deal with my sudden craving for purple grapey goodness, I would have to ship them in. Don't get me wrong, I really did want them, but I didn't want to deal with forking out shipping and customs just to get my fix.

So over the weekend, I came across a candy store I haven't been in for a while. I was actually on a mission to find Tart N Tiny candies (only to discover that they have indeed been discontinued - I grieve for the loss of Tart N Tinys). Lo and behold (cue angelic choir and trumpets), there was a box of Jolly Joe packs on the shelf! My boyfriend was goading me into buying out the stock, but I was a little strapped for cash and stuck to 4 packs instead.

I don't know what was more enjoyable. The hunt for my elusive Jolly Joes, the discovery of them, or the actually eating of them. I suspect it was a combination of all three which made my first Jolly Joe in over 20 years taste so good. And while the artificial sweets will probably be the death of me someday, they made me feel young again...like a kid running to the candy store, spending money in hand, and dreams of sweets in her head.

1 comment:

  1. i like the blue mike and ike the most, but can you guys please make and be friends because if theirs no mike theirs no Ike :(

    ReplyDelete